Wednesday, June 08, 2005


Posted by Hello
Royale of Sea Urchin with Cream of Lobster
The inimitable Jeffrey Steingarten's It Must've Been Something I Ate is chock-full of wit and wisdom, with the occasional recipe which has passed muster the formidable Vogue food critic's stringent criteria. In the essay entitled Prickly Pleasures, you'll find everything you ever wanted to know about sea urchins. His accompanying recipe comes from no less hallowed a source than Alain Ducasse and Didier Elena. And who can resist cooking from a recipe he hails as "my nomination for best dish of the new millennium"?

Instead of the original Veloute of Lobster, I've used a creamy lobster sauce that involves less last-minute work (the veloute requires whipping just before serving). I've also turned out the sea urchin custards instead of serving them separately in espresso cups. As a garnish, I've used glistening pearls of ikura (salmon roe) - their briny bite is wonderful against the luxuriant creaminess of the sauce.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Aunty J,

I am guessing that you're shooting quite a few of these scumptious looking images at pooch level. How in the world do you keep B & G away from these tail-waggingly tempting treats while you snap away? Positively nothing would've kept me from my share of the loot -- not for long, anyway (you know how nothing, not even a high table or closed door could separate me from a choice gourmet treat). I simply have to master the use of those elevator buttons next.

12:15 pm, June 09, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Sascha

I have discovered that I am more likely to be offered part of the spoils after she's done if I stay still. The attempts I've made to steathily creep up to her various subjects via the sofa have been foiled every single time...So till G & I master our acrobatic balancing act, I'll have to make do.

By the way, heard about your belly pork conquest. Impressive - I bow to you, Tall Blonde Gourmandising One...

3:21 pm, June 09, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home