Friday, June 10, 2005

Lobster Pancakes with Pea Puree


Posted by Hello
I love having leftovers. Which is fortuitous, seeing as I have at least as many recipes I'm keen to try or re-visit as I'll have dinners right into my septuagenarian years. Read: Loads of leftovers. Certain recipes simply don't work when scaled down. Or, even better, improve with keeping. Or, best of all, are so versatile their reincarnation need bear little or even no resemblance to the original intended purpose.

Like crepe batter - an overnight rest ensures a crepe that's soft and tender as the gluten has had a chance to relax. Also, what better blank canvas from which to make up dinner? I had some plain crepe batter lying around in the fridge. So. Loosely based on a recipe in Thomas Keller's The French Laundry Cookbook, I added some finely chopped chives to the batter to make chive crepes. The filling is a luxurious mixture of diced lobster and mascarpone. In lieu of the recipe's carrot-ginger emulsion, I made a pea puree enriched with d'Isigny creme fraiche and highly reduced lobster stock.

4 Comments:

Blogger Rachael Narins said...

Have you got a guest room? If you keep up with these amazing posts, I may have to come for a visit! :-)Amazing.

I am in awe!

5:12 am, June 11, 2005  
Blogger Unknown said...

I sure second that!
Dear J, everytime I drop in to visit your blog, you never cease to amaze, even crepes are not just 'crepes' in your hands - c'est magnifique!!!
P.S. - thank you for linking me on your site...

8:06 pm, June 11, 2005  
Blogger the baker said...

got to agree with them both. your cooking looks so 'gourmet', so professional. you cook so well! your boyfriend is really a lucky chap. haha

11:25 am, June 13, 2005  
Blogger Joycelyn said...

hi

thanks all for your kind feedback

rachael: welcome any time ;) i would love to meet the genius behind fresh approach!

eatzycath: don't mention it, it's a pleasure. besides, have to make it easier for me to visit your lovely site ;) thank you too...

the baker: so very kind of you to say so! you've really made my day :)

11:19 pm, June 13, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home