Monday, January 24, 2011

Flowers for Dummies




I am not patient by nature.


Sift flour and baking powder thrice? Sure.

Wait overnight before baking the financier batter? No problem.

If there's something yummy to be had at the end of it all, there's no fuss or tedium that's not worth the while.

But trim, wire and tape stalk after stalk of flowers to stick into a pleasing arrangement? Thanks, but no thanks, it's really not for the impatient likes of me. I love admiring beautiful and intricate floral arrangements as much as the next person. But attempt to do it myself? Drives me to tears. This klutziness with flowers is likely an extension of how plantlife (and guppies for that matter) has a habit of dying around me. Money plants, cacti, ornamental chilli plants, terrariums...You name it, I've somehow caused it to wither. They call me the plant murderer at home.

While many know my grandmother to be an accomplished cook, what few know is that she can out-garden the best of them. I have personally witnessed her green fingers do everything from revive a wizened bonsai to coax stem cuttings into propagating prolifically. It is truly something else, and woefully something I have no knack for.


The solution to my green thumblessness, of course, is to simply pick up the phone and order from my favourite florists. And if for whatever reason I need to do it myself, my idea of flower arranging is to stick a few stems into a jam jar. Literally.



I think it works especially well on the dinner table, where it is unlikely a guest will notice the bare bones lazy girl's approach (or at least I like to imagine).



Between the place settings and the votives, free flowing libations and conversation,



there should be plenty to distract.




Even without the blooms,


I think the pussy willow looks rather fresh, modern and pretty in a spare sort of way.


Some very kind friends gave me a pot of gorgeous orchids - thank you very much A, D, S and S, I adore them. They are apparently very low maintenance plants despite their glamorous, exotic, high maintenance appearance. In short, perfection!

To everyone who is entertaining and celebrating this coming festive season, Happy Lunar New Year!

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

may i ask where your dining table and light is from? thanks so much!

12:27 am, January 25, 2011  
Anonymous eli said...

J, you don't even have to try, it looks fab nonetheless.

3:21 pm, January 25, 2011  
Blogger Beth said...

You always have the nicest things. I have had so many ideas from your site. B:)

11:38 am, January 27, 2011  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for a very lovely table setting.... so light and fresh and simple.
Would love to know where to purchase the white cutlery holder... so delicate with those lovely birds and flowers.

6:28 pm, January 29, 2011  
Blogger Shirley @ Kokken69 said...

Joycelyn, this is really clever! I would never thought of cutting the willows so short and stick them in jam jars! Very classy!

7:42 pm, January 29, 2011  
Blogger Emily said...

This is gorgeous - the whole thing, not just the flowers! I would also love to know where you got the cutlery holders from, they are truly beautiful...

6:30 pm, January 31, 2011  
Blogger Joy said...

From the snippets of photos, I can tell that your new place looks beautiful! I'm especially intrigued at how your kitchen, a place that you spend so much time in and for a talented cook like yourself, will look like. Possibly a show and tell there?

12:07 am, February 07, 2011  
Blogger Ally said...

Just came across your blog and had to leave a note...your photography is absolutely beautiful!

2:14 pm, March 02, 2011  
Anonymous keiko said...

Dearest Joycelyn - sorry I've been slow catching up with your posts, I hope all is well. The table setting looks absolutely beautiful (so does the rest of your new home), I do hope I'll make it there one day (hopefully with a leg of Iberico ham)! Please let me know next time you're heading this way, it'd be really lovely to see you again. Take care. xxx

9:11 pm, March 09, 2011  
Anonymous Suzanne said...

The table decorations look fabulous!

7:16 am, June 05, 2011  

Post a Comment

<< Home