Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Decorated Christmas Cookies 2008 - Classes at Shermay's Cooking School

How time flies! It's been a whole year since the warm spicy aroma of festive baking last permeated my kitchen, ahead of schedule too...This class is back!

I'll be teaching Decorated Christmas Cookies, a demo class, at Shermay's Cooking School on 4 October 2008 (Saturday) and 5 October 2008 (Sunday) - the October schedule has all the necessary details. There will only be 2 sessions of this class. For all inquiries, please call the school at +65 6479 8442 or email shermaycs@yahoo.com.sg

Exactly the same recipes and techniques will be covered as last year's class - the only difference being the selection of cookie shapes. Shermay, who has impeccable taste in such matters, has very thoughtfully managed to source a collection of highly covetable cookie cutters, and I wanted to feature these fabulous new shapes - once the core decorating techniques have been grasped, they can be practically applied to any cookie shape.

The type of cookies known as rolled cookies is the decorator's preferred choice of canvas. Unlike say drop cookies or bar cookies, however, they do take a bit of care to get right. Quite aside from sleights of hand to facilitate the procedure, there's the recipe itself - it needs to be a dough that's sturdy enough to withstand repeated handling, yet not bake up so dense and hard as to result in mediocre eating. The Luscious Lemon Cookies (butter cookies with a hint of zest and real lemony depth) and Classic Gingerbread (given just a touch of molasses and judiciously spiced) are both favourite recipes - while I find them a real joy to handle, what's more important is that taste is not compromised for looks.

Once you have your canvas, you'll need to choose your medium. To that end, there's Rolled Fondant (the ready made product is extremely convenient and useful for large batch baking, but homemade has a flavour that you may find worth the extra effort), and Meringue Powder Royal Icing. The latter is a cookie decorating essential, and distinguishing between stiff, soft peak and runny consistencies and knowing the different decorating functions they serve form the foundation of cookie decorating.

An understanding of just a handful of Core Decorating Techniques - such as outlining, flooding, drop-in flooding, overpiping, flocking and gilding - opens up limitless design possibilities. The class will cover the practical application of these techniques as can be seen in the decoration of:

Snowmen



Christmas Tree Ornaments

Snowflakes

Christmas Trees

The 3-D Christmas Tree

Much simpler (and faster) to construct than a gingerbread house, but certainly no less stunning as the perfect holiday table centrepiece.
You've home-baked them. You've hand-iced them. Don't let them down with anything less than stylish packaging to create the ultimate heartfelt and one-of-a-kind holiday gifts. If you're so inclined, hopefully one or two of the various ideas that round out the class may prove useful.

20 Comments:

Blogger TasteTV said...

These are pretty awesome.
Really, they are fabulous
I'm going to repost a few of your picks and links to you on our blog

10:19 am, September 09, 2008  
Blogger Leanne Stamatellos said...

simply stunning - wish I could join you for a class - love it if you came to australia some time.

8:10 pm, September 09, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi joycelyn, are you going to be conducting any macaron/cupcake classes soon? I can't wait to join them. i'd love the join this class but sadly i'll be overseas.

9:13 pm, September 09, 2008  
Blogger Allie said...

These are gorgeous! Can't wait to sign up for the class!

10:36 am, September 10, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The snowmen are the bbesttt ^^! And the 3d Christmas tree also has a big wow factor. Come to Sydney to tteeeaaachhhhhhh plleeassseeee :D?

4:07 pm, September 10, 2008  
Blogger zarpandit said...

oh my goooooodddd!!
you are very beatiful..

you're perfect..

congratulation!!!!!

4:19 am, September 11, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Each time I come here I get so hungry, your blog is trully a feast to the eyes!!
I'm adding you to my blogroll, in an attemp to remind myself to revive my kitchen section!

8:54 pm, September 11, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your icing skills are outrageously amazing!! I am so ENVIOUS and your artistry is what I strive to attain.

I have one question, however, how do the cookies TASTE with so much icing and decorations??? There is so much icing to make these cookies so beautiful, I wonder if these decorated cookies are even edible. Or they just for decoration? I also would ask how long it takes you to accomplish this.

I look forward to your response.

Magnolia

10:13 am, September 12, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, I love, love all of your creations, they're beautiful and inspiring. I'm new to blogging and I'd love to put a link to your blog on mine if you don't mind. Thanks!

2:55 am, September 13, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Magnolia,

I know J is too humble to say this to you, but her decorated cookies are delicious. She manages the delicate balance between icing and cookie very carefully to create a finished product that you actually want to eat and savour. The contrast between her lemon cookie and her meringue powder royal icing is really appealing. You don't get any of that tooth-achingly sweet effect other cookies seem to have.

S

3:55 pm, September 14, 2008  
Blogger My Sweet & Saucy said...

Your posts always leave me awed in amazement! You are fabulous in everything you do! Thanks for the inspiration once again!

1:08 am, September 18, 2008  
Blogger Honeyed Hashette said...

I want to take this class! Want to move to Texas?

5:51 am, September 19, 2008  
Blogger Anamika:The Sugarcrafter said...

hi joycelyn
you have got a beautiful blog and i simply adored your posts..lot to learn and do.....you are doing agreat job !

5:15 pm, September 20, 2008  
Blogger e l e f a n t s n e v e r f o r g e t said...

These sweets are stunning, did you know that? I would love to learn how do to all that... or maybe you could teach me the zen-like patience required to make each one perfect!

9:28 am, September 21, 2008  
Blogger CC said...

These are gorgeous! I wish I lived in Singapore or better yet, I wish you live in Vancouver. :P

4:25 am, September 22, 2008  
Blogger Dora said...

I like the The 3-D Christmas Tree. Can i have one? ;p

3:43 pm, September 22, 2008  
Blogger Y said...

They are all so pretty. I love your attention to detail :)

2:12 pm, September 24, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Purty! Wish I were around there to take your class. ;-)

Paz

8:33 am, September 26, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think blue is 'the colour' for this christmas :) Absolutely gorgeous, Joycelyn - hope you are well and enjoying your classes. kxxx

6:33 pm, September 29, 2008  
Blogger PlayKitchen said...

Hi,

May I find out when you will be conducting cookie decoration course again.

Thanks.

7:39 pm, February 02, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home