Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Summertime, And the livin' is easy

I often feel extremely fortunate to be doing what I do. Quite aside from having lucked out and finding the perfect reason to obsess as much about dessert as I already do, I find many aspects of the flurry of preparations leading up to a class such as this thoroughly enjoyable. One of my favourite aspects has to be the delicious dilemma I find myself in when trying to shortlist which recipes might fit the bill - so many recipes, so little time, especially bearing in mind that each session is about 3 hours long. Which is where the bonus recipes come in handy, by letting me sneak in an extra recipe or two or three that I may not have time to show-and-tell, but are so easy and so useful to know I feel compelled to include them. Often, these are chosen based on their ability to give "mileage" to the main recipes being demonstrated, allowing a minor tweak here and there to give a brand new spin to the dessert in question. I like to think of it in wardrobe terms - you don't always need a new frock to feel like you're wearing a new frock, sometimes all a girl needs is a new pair of killer heels (or insert whatever else is your accessory fetish) to feel like she's breathed life into her capsule collection of beloved old staples.

If I could possibly sum up the mood of this particular line-up in one word (ok, more like a string of words...remember, I can't even keep myself to a set recipe count!), it would be retro, nostalgic, and comforting. The bulk of preparation prior to class itself (ie. when I actually have to be physically present at the school) takes place within the confines of my own kitchen, where I've been - you've guessed it - listening to Gershwin jazz standards while I bake as of late!

The Lemon Grove Cupcakes can be topped by a Rose Water Glaze - quite aside from the affinity the flavours have for each other, I'll confess that I was quite simply taken by the new rose water from Nielsen-Massey and wanted to include a recipe using it.

The classic coconut layer cake gets an exotic island cocktail spin thanks to a pineapple filling flavoured with lime, dark rum and Madagascar Bourbon vanilla bean...

Presto, a PiƱa Colada Cake!

Done as cupcakes, I couldn't resist sticking in a paper brolly - I hope I'm not the only person around here with a weakness for naff cocktails!
PS: For all inquiries about the sessions on 12 July 2008 , 13 July 2008 , 26 July 2008 and 27 July 2008, please call the school directly at +65 6479 8442 or email shermaycs@yahoo.com.sg

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your lovely writing and beautiful creations put a big smile on my face, Joycelyn - only you can make cupcakes so elegant! I can imagine you in the kitchen working on new recipes (with the help of gershwin :)) have a lovely summer, and enjoy your classes. kxxx

11:28 pm, July 01, 2008  
Blogger Valentina said...

You are so beautifully talented. Your creations make me happy, inspired..Love this post.I would love to take part in one of your classes. I might have to come to Singapore on holiday just to realize the dream.

2:40 am, July 03, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

sigh...! your cakes & photos are ALWAYS soooo beautiful...

8:48 am, July 03, 2008  
Blogger Humms said...

Hi, i love yours pics they are so inspire to me.
Greetings from Chile

12:38 am, July 04, 2008  
Blogger Cannelle Et Vanille said...

absolutely elegant and breathtaking as always.

9:42 pm, July 04, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

All that jazz in such beautiful cakes. I have just bought a box of those sweet old-fashioned umbrellas and was thinking of cupcakes with them. Your blog is where dreams come true ;-)
I will be going to Paris next week, let me know if you need something from Mariage Freres. I always read here how much you love them and I will be staying the next door. I also collect their wonderful teas and pots.
Regards from Vienna,
Carolina

4:44 pm, July 07, 2008  
Blogger E.A. Aleksandroff, alias GT said...

Here we have quirky yogurt flavors...believe it or not, pina colada and raisin are my favorites. These are some fancy desserts.

8:35 am, July 09, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those are really terrific photos.

4:05 am, July 11, 2008  
Blogger Mama Mia said...

ohhh i love the idea of your upsidedown cupcakes. great idea for a baby shower im throwing soon.

11:42 am, July 11, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

gershwin is indeed good ear fodder and apparently, great for inspiring one's hands too it seems. hope to be seeing u soon(once again) during your workshops. cheerios :)

10:05 pm, July 14, 2008  
Blogger Parisbreakfasts said...

Lovely as ever!
Glad you're so please with what you are doing Joycelyn.
That means everything doesn't it.

2:29 am, July 15, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

beautiful cakes are always heart warming...

I am trying my best to learn how to prepare (decent meals :-) thanks for sharing your ideas. Busby SEO challenge

KabonFootPrint

1:17 pm, August 27, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home