Sunday, November 01, 2009

Art of the Tart

Because a deeply decadent dark chocolate tart will feature in Holiday Desserts 2009, with a baked Valrhona Manjari 64% custard filling that can only be described as baveuse, I wanted to include within the bonus section of the recipe pack a few of my other favourite chocolate tarts.

The crunchy shortbread pastry used for all the tart shells here is an unconventional recipe based on melted butter. It is extremely easy to handle, can either be rolled with a pin or pressed into the tart pan, is used for one grand tart case or a flurry of tartlet cases, and can boast of a buttery deliciousness all unto itself really.

Raspberry & White Chocolate Tart
Tart fresh raspberries and a hidden layer of raspberry preserves offer the perfect fruity contrast to the plush white chocolate ganache (using Valrhona Ivoire 35% White Chocolate). The gleaming rows of bright red berries resplendent against ivory creaminess make this tart a particularly festive and beautiful one to have on the holiday dessert table.

Salted Caramel & Dark Chocolate Tart
Butter-rich caramel with the full-flavoured, minerally tang of artisanal sea salt is blanketed by dark chocolate ganache (using Valrhona Manjari 64% Dark Chocolate) - for salted caramel lovers, this is sheer bliss in a tart shell!

Malted Milk Chocolate Tart
If you love chocolate malteds, if they evoke the fondest of carefree childhood memories, then this is the chocolate tart with your name on it. The addition of malted milk splendidly enhances the toasty, butterscotchy savours of the Valrhona Jivara Lactée 40% Milk Chocolate used in the ganache.

Holiday Desserts 2009, a demo class at Shermay's Cooking School, will be held on 7 November (Saturday), 8 November(Sunday), 21 November (Saturday) and 22 November(Sunday). For all inquiries, please call the school at +65 6479 8442 or email shermaycs@yahoo.com.sg.

12 Comments:

Blogger Claudia said...

Beautiful, I love their perfection...

8:01 am, November 01, 2009  
Anonymous Aly said...

Dear J, I would love to be a fly on the wall of your tableware cabinet. You always have the most exquisite taste. So many gorgeous things, I wonder how you decide what to use?

9:19 am, November 01, 2009  
Blogger Sheltie Girl said...

Simply gorgeous tarts. I'll have to pick up some more Valrhona chocolate. My last block suffered from an invasion of the mousey sort. A mouse with excellent taste.

Natalie @ Gluten A Go Go

8:21 am, November 02, 2009  
Blogger Amara said...

Once again I have to say, I'd kill to be in this class. Someday we're taking a trip just to go to these classes.

10:29 am, November 02, 2009  
Blogger Heather said...

I want to make them all! I just don't know which of the beautiful desserts I would choose first. Thank you sharing.

7:56 pm, November 02, 2009  
Blogger Taste of Beirut said...

I so appreciate your exquisite taste and wish I could take the classes! My brother lives in Singapore, I will tell him to go instead!

3:22 pm, November 03, 2009  
Anonymous Juliana said...

Oh! They are so nice and look so delicious, would like to try then all :-) Nice pictures!

11:23 pm, November 03, 2009  
Anonymous keiko said...

Dear Joycelyn - these tarts are just exquisite, I can almost taste the thin buttery crumbly pastry! Looks like you're having another busy month, but I do hope things will work out for us! Take care and keep me posted... xxx

4:47 am, November 04, 2009  
Blogger Chiara Ulivi said...

these tarts are simply beautiful and I can only imagine the taste...
Great pictures!!

5:37 pm, November 04, 2009  
Anonymous Erika from The Pastry Chef At Home said...

Beautiful food. Especially the malted milk chocolate tart!

1:53 pm, November 15, 2009  
Blogger Katherine said...

Wish I can make it Joycelyn! Oh for a taste of your salted caramel & chocolate...unfortunately we've moved to Sydney, but glad to report that the milder climate has made baking your luscious lemon biscuits a cinch. I'm steeling myself for a 3rd attempt at your macarons - maybe I'll be more successful this time with the less humid weather.

9:02 am, November 18, 2009  
Blogger Katie Yoon said...

Just perfect! Speechless...

11:17 am, January 08, 2010  

Post a Comment

<< Home