Friday, September 25, 2009

Sticky Pockets & Jammy Bars

How time whizzes by! Holiday Cookies 2009 is just round the corner - 4 sessions only, on 10 October, 11 October, 24 October and 25 October 2009 ; for all inquiries, please call the school at +65 6479 8442 or email shermaycs@yahoo.com.sg - and I am very much looking forward to the preparations for it.

Much as I love them, who needs a Diptyque scented candle? If the holiday class preparatory periods seasons past are anything to go by, the toasty scent of Christmas spices, rounded out by a touch of sugar plums and a topnote of chocolate, will permeate my kitchen (and rest of the apartment really) in the coming months. Luckily, it is a sugar-and-spice scent I adore, and associate with all things nice, so I really couldn't be more thrilled! It is a joyous and uplifting scent, and I daresay one of the biggest reasons why so many of us who love baking in general, love holiday baking in particular!

Anyways, I wanted to put up some pictures of the bonus recipes and ideas included within the recipe pack, in addition to the core demonstrated recipes seen here. They include:

Sticky Date Pockets
A sticky date filling is encased by a friable cinnamon-and-vanilla scented pastry. The look of these (see picture at beginning of post) somewhat reminds of miniature mincemeat pies, and are in fact the ideal treat to proffer in lieu of those should you find yourself serving non-mincemeat eaters!

Zesty Raisin Stuffed Cookies
A raisin and candied lemon peel filling enveloped by lemon scented pastry, and a definite winner with lemon lovers.

Orange Marmalade & Cherry Bars
A crisp brown sugar-and-oatmeal crust is topped with a filling of orange marmalade and dried cherries.

Apricot Bars with Orange Blossom Water, Saffron & Pistachios
Flavoured with the merest hint of orange blossom water and saffron, this apricot jam filling is an intriguing one.

Nutella Bars
Once the knack of making the brown sugar oatmeal crust is figured out, what lies within can be any number of things, and an excellent reason to go shop for all manner of luxurious jams and preserves. But frankly, my favourite thing to do is to reach for the Nutella jar! Because one can never have too many thinly veiled excuses to indulge in lashings of the stuff, this is really a number for us Nutella fiends...

9 Comments:

Anonymous EL said...

Sweet! The first photo really looks like mince pies, like you say. Yummy bite-sized ones, so cute! Wish I were closer

10:31 am, September 26, 2009  
Blogger Altaf said...

hi,
do you have a facebook account?

3:18 am, September 27, 2009  
Blogger Pity said...

what a lovely sweet election, your blog is a splash of delicacies, really yummy, i will be coming back,

cheers from london,

pity

4:15 am, September 29, 2009  
Anonymous S said...

Dear J,

I can't wait to see your installation at Strangelets :) Congrats!

XO
S

7:21 pm, October 04, 2009  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nutella Bars? Yes please. I already slather way too much of that stuff on everything. No point in stopping now!

10:17 am, October 08, 2009  
Blogger Andréa said...

Hello, Joycelyn.
I live in Brazil and I follow your blog from here. I just love your creations!
I'm a big fan of candied orange peels, but I don't know how to prepare them. I've already tried twice, but they were so bitter... Could you give me your recipe?
Thanks,
Andréa.

11:36 pm, October 14, 2009  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Jocelyn
I weep with joy everytime I visit your blog. Truly there is a beautiful God that has created the perfect baker....you!
I read your previous posts on your whipped cupcake toppings.....I know you have already conducted classes for that, but I was wondering if you sold recipes on those. If so, how do I go about ordering them?
Thanks much.
janalin

11:30 am, October 16, 2009  
Blogger Unknown said...

Dear Joycelyn,
Just discovered your blog and it is beautiful! Both photos and written descriptions. Wish I didn't live 1/2 a world away - would love to take your classes. Do you have a cookbook that can be purchased? Hope so!

9:47 am, November 13, 2009  
Anonymous mic said...

Hi Joycelyn,
Wonderful creations! Thank you for posting these photos.
I stumbled upon this post looking for a Nutella bar recipe, and have to say yours look perfect.
Living abroad I can't participate in your offered classes, but hope you don't mind my asking if it may be possible to purchase a collection of your recipes?
Can I contact you via email about this?
Thank you!

8:14 am, June 15, 2012  

Post a Comment

<< Home